STEM Pre-Service Teacher Scholarship Program
Application System Open - Deadline to Apply is October 31, 2017
The goal of the NC Space Grant Precollege Education program is to engage more educators across the state by building on the successful NASA Langley Research Center’s Office of Education (LaRC) Network of States initiative completed in 2017. Over the course of the 2016-17 academic year, 60 teachers from schools in economically challenged areas of eastern NC received professional development training from LaRC as part of the Network of States initiative. Now that LaRC has shifted its focus to another state in their service region, NCSG will build upon the momentum generated and establish a Network of Educators (NOE) across NC to continue its goals of: 1) equipping pre-service and in-service educators with innovative tools to inspire the future STEM workforce to pursue education and careers in STEM fields relevant to NASA, and, 2) to provide opportunities for student-focused programs for students throughout the precollege pipeline.
The NCSG NOE Initiative includes STEM Pre-Service Teacher Education Scholarships. These scholarships are designed for students enrolled in STEM-related teacher education degree programs at the undergraduate and graduate level. Scholarship recipients will be required to: complete one NASA STEM Digital Badge, participate in professional seminars, and travel to NASA Langley Research Center.
- To promote STEM education in the K-12 classroom, focusing on improving precollege perceptions, understanding and interests in science.
- To promote STEM education in the K-12 classroom focusing on improving precollege interests in pursuit of science education and science careers.
- To assist in the preparation of teachers entering into the K-12 science classrooms.
- To equip future teachers with NASA content and tools to use in the classroom.
Eligibility and Application:
- This opportunity is open to students majoring in a STEM education degree program at NC Space Grant Affiliate Institutions. Minimum GPA requirement is 2.8.
- To apply, students must complete an online application. The application consists of general information, transcript request, and three short essays. An online recommendation letter is required as well.
- On-line applications due October 31, 2017. On-line letter of support due November 1, 2017.
STEM Pre-Service Teacher Scholar Expectations:
- Complete one NASA STEM Digital Badge Module:
- Selected students will be required to complete a NASA STEM Digital Badge (Earth Right Now, Aeronautics, or Journey to Mars) module. The NASA STEM Educator Professional Development Collaborative (NASA EPDC) digital badge content was developed for teachers and students in grades 5-9 and is aligned to Next Generation Science Standards and Common Core. Each badge requires educators to complete a classroom teaching component to demonstrate mastery of content.
- Participate in cohort webinars (guest speakers)
- Participate in a cohort field trip to NASA Langley Research Center in Spring 2018
- Develop and present a poster of completed module activities to NASA Langley Office of Education and research community; this presentation will serve as a way for Education staff to evaluate effectiveness of module content.
Award and Funding Distribution:
Selected Scholars will receive an award of $3,000. Travel to NASA Langley will also be paid for by NC Space Grant. Funding will be awarded as a stipend in two installments (January 2018 and May 2018).
For questions regarding this opportunity please contact Jobi Cook at (919)515-5933 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
North Carolina Space Grant is a NASA