Informal Education / Public Outreach Program
Proposals will be accepted through February 27, 2015
The overall goal of the NC Space Grant Informal Education and Public Outreach Program is to increase interest in and understanding of STEM disciplines by inspiring and engaging individuals of all ages throughout North Carolina.
The Informal Education and Public Outreach Program will consider proposals that utilize the STEM content of NASA's missions to:
- Promote life-long learning in North Carolina by students, educators, families, and retirees, using NASA-themed STEM and missions through informal education;
- Build strategic partnerships and linkages between STEM formal and informal education providers that promote STEM literacy and awareness of NASA's mission;
- Encourage, inspire and engage large and diverse audiences via NASA's contributions to everyday life;
- Build linkages and connections to and from secondary education and higher education and informal education communities;
- Improve understanding of NASA's missions, contributions to STEM disciplines, and STEM careers, including faculty in pre-K-12 and higher education settings; and
- Link and engage providers of informal and formal education, including institutions of higher education, particularly HBCUs, Tribal Colleges, and other minority serving institutions using NASA content through pilot projects that enable educators, parents, retirees, or community leaders to carry the NASA content back to their households, school, after school groups, summer camps, 4-H communities, etc.
Examples of eligible projects include but are not limited to: exhibits (permanent, traveling, or virtual), STEM programming serving educators, students, and the general public, partnerships with informal education providers (e.g., youth groups, after-school programs); staff professional development, informal education programs; curriculum support for informal science education, technology development, or activities that are culturally focused on targeted populations, such as women and minorities.
NC Space Grant has allocated a total of $10,000 to provide between 2-4 awards ($2,500 maximum) in the Informal Education/Public Outreach program category, with a period of performance of 12 months (July 1, 2015 – June 30, 2016). Proposing institutions are required to provide 100% cost-matching (1:1) using non-federal funds. In other words, if $2,500 is requested from NC Space Grant, then $2,500 must be provided as match. Facilities and Administrative (F&A, or overhead) costs are not allowed.
This solicitation is open to NCSG Affiliates, public/private school districts, museums, and other not-for-profit educational organizations. Individuals must be qualified to serve as a principal investigator at their respective institution and be U.S. citizens. Permanent residents, foreign nationals and resident aliens may apply for funding but with budget restrictions (see Program Annoucement). Submission is limited to one proposal per investigator.
Program Announcement: Download Request for Proposals
Proposal Submission and Deadline: Proposals must be submitted online (see RFP for link) by 5:00 PM (EST) on February 27, 2015. One complete single electronic file in PDF format is required by the on-line system. Electronically submitted proposal must contain all required signatures.
Award Period: July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016 (12 months) (contingent upon NC Space Grant receipt of NASA funding)